Can complete telehealth solutions help organizations save time and increase growth?
Currently, most healthcare organizations leverage their EMR to manage telehealth operations and provide a virtual care experience to patients. As we outlined in our previous blog comparing EMRs to telehealth solutions, EMRs are developed to solely track patient information and lack patient-facing apps that enable a complete telehealth experience. Although EMRs may have video conference and file sharing add-on features, they are often unreliable and disparate for both patients and providers. The result? Appointment no-shows, provider inefficiency, and lost revenue.
We know that managing telehealth operations through disconnected systems is a strain on healthcare providers and patients, especially as organizations are caring for 50 to 175 the number of patients they were prior to the pandemic. Now, healthcare leaders are looking beyond their EMR for innovative, reliable, and complete solutions to help providers be more efficient while continuing to expand their operations. Complete telehealth solutions better enable organizations to add new digital programming for increased growth and client capacity while saving time and money with virtual care.
Here are five key features healthcare leaders should look for in their complete telehealth solution:
Unlike EMRs, which are used to solely store and manage patient information, healthcare leaders can seek out complete telehealth solutions that are built to provide an end-to-end virtual care experience for patients and providers. Finding platforms with automations to reduce operational redundancies and inefficiencies is paramount. For example:
- Telehealth solutions ensure every administrative pre-consult task, virtual care touchpoint, and post-consult task is automated within the platform.
- Pre-consult tasks like branded appointment reminders, onboarding including informed consent, and pre-appointment device testing for patients are automated.
- Virtual care touchpoints automations may include files and forms sharing, secure sign-on, and instant messaging for more accessible care.
- Post-consult automations enhance the patient experience, such as content notifications for self-led programs, health outcomes measurement tools, and more.
Another way of increasing provider efficiency with connected systems is through APIs (Application Programming Interface). An API connects software across an organization so data is shared seamlessly between them. By exploring all-in-one systems that offer an open API, healthcare organizations can manage patient care and operations within a single, secure platform that also integrates easily with EMRs, CRMs, and other systems. For example, OnCall’s API enables providers to:
- Collect and capture data at any point of a patient’s healthcare journey in one system, with the information flowing to other platforms automatically.
- See, create, and update appointments, as well as manage users, forms and files, and patient roster. All data entered or changed in one system passes to other platforms seamlessly.
Healthcare organizations have different use cases, virtual care workflows, and various regions or teams needs. Leveraging a telehealth platform that is configurable to your unique workflow needs is key. Configurable solutions account for the unique needs of providers and administrators, their locations, or care verticals, and enable healthcare leaders to personalize the healthcare experience accordingly. And, by configuring each workflow under one unified solution, healthcare organizations can ramp up capacity and acquire more patients by offering personalized programs designed with patient demographics in mind. For example:
- An organization requires their workflows to account for varied rules and regulations across state lines. With configurable platforms, leaders can personalize informed consent according to the requirements in each state.
- Although the organization has configured multiple workflows for each state, their providers continue to use one unified solution to manage patients and their care.
It’s important for healthcare leaders to find a solution that is equipped with features that helps their organization understand how telehealth is affecting providers, patients, and business. Leaders can explore solutions that offer real-time data on their telehealth operations, including:
- Understanding revenue growth by analyzing appointments scheduled and completed, patient acquisition and retention rates, and total appointments billed.
- Examining provider efficiency by looking at patient no-show information, changes in time spent on administrative tasks with automations, and more.
- Analyzing patient satisfaction and health through PHQ forms.
Healthcare leaders can also look for a complete telehealth solution that comes with an expert support team to help healthcare organizations and their providers transition successfully to virtual care. Having an experienced team on hand, who know the best ways to manage and grow telehealth operations, is a vital reason why more and more healthcare providers are starting to see the true value of integrating complete telehealth solutions in their operations. Having a vendor that partners with you can help:
- Assist healthcare leaders with change management support throughout the transition to telehealth.
- Reduce time spent assisting patients with technical questions, as complete telehealth solutions offer some level of technical support for patients and providers so they are set up for success.
- Provide expert onboarding and training on telehealth best practices, “webside manner”, and more, so providers are prepared to offer care using telehealth.
Growing your telehealth operations and offering new service models for patients is more than just digitizing an old delivery model. It means transforming healthcare into an efficient, collaborative, and data-rich option for patients, providers, and business for the long-term. OnCall encourages leaders to challenge the purpose of their technology, examining ways in which end-to-end systems like OnCall can create better care experiences for providers and patients. With OnCall’s all-in-one system that offers an open API, healthcare organizations can manage patient care and operations within a single, secure platform that also integrates easily with EMRs, CRMs, and other systems. By reimagining healthcare delivery and choosing technology that integrates easily, healthcare organizations and their providers can revolutionize how they provide efficient and targeted care with a connected system powering their patient care and operations.